CONDITIONS AND BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP OF ORKNEY CRAFTS ASSOCIATION
Conditions of Professional Membership:
- Work must be of an appropriately high quality and standard, designed or made in Orkney, and must be vetted by two OCA members, one of whom will be a practitioner in a similar discipline to the applicant.
- Work must be original to the maker with no plagiarism.
- If in the business sector, evidence of relevant insurance and registration with HMRC should be supplied.
- If in the education sector, provision of relevant qualifications should be supplied.
- Applicants must be both living and working in the Orkney Islands.
- Applicants must be deriving part of their living from their work.
- If wishing to be on Craft Trail, regular and publicised opening hours must be provided and adhered to.
Benefits of Professional Membership:
- Eligibility for major listing in OCA Craft Trail and Brochure, leaflets, posters, display boards
- Fully illustrated page on OCA website, with links to own website if applicable
- Opportunity to be “Featured Art/Craft” through the blog on OCA website
- Opportunity to participate in group advertising e.g. The Islander, Living Orkney, Scottish Field, Northlink brochure
- Links to other relevant organisations, e.g. Orkney Tourism Group, Visit Scotland, Craft Scotland
- Subsidised attendance at national exhibitions or trade fairs
- Display and trade opportunities at central Kirkwall location (Ortak)
- Display opportunities at tourist locations e.g., Northlink terminals, Kirkwall Tourist Information Centre, Kirkwall Airport
- Eligibility to attend local events organised by OCA
- Notification of related opportunities, e.g. subsidised photographic /copywriting services/carriage to and from trade fairs
- Assistance with production of P.O.S. materials
- Professional Member OCA and Made in Orkney logos to be used in own stationary/website/premises
- Opportunities for contribution to Committee work
£100 per annum. (January 1st- December 31st). If joining after June, half fee applies.
Associate Membership is open to any individual or group interested and actively engaged in art or craft within Orkney.
- Vetting will take place as for full members.
- There will be a listing on an Associate Members page of the OCA website with one image, brief description of activity, and a link to member’s website/social media site where possible.
- Associate members will be eligible to attend local events (fund-raisers, pop-ups) at a designated stall.
- Associate members will be included in press releases and marketing activities
- Associate members will have their own logo/window sticker etc.
- Associate members will be given advice and guidance as appropriate from relevant Committee members
- The fee will be £25 p.a. (January 1st- December 31st). If joining after June, half fee applies.
PROCEDURE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS (Online only).
- Complete online application form (all relevant sections to be done).
- Secretary contacts applicant to arrange suitable date and time for vetting.
- During vetting, applicant is required to provide samples of work for full Selection Committee to assess.
- Reports, products and recommendation from vetting process is discussed by the Selection Committee to formally ratify at next Committee meeting (which may be specially convened if necessary).
- Applicant informed of outcome. If unsuccessful applicant is given reasons and constructive input.
- If successful, applicant is sent an invoice from OCA which requires immediate payment by cheque or BACS (all payment information required is on the invoice itself).
- When payment is received, membership becomes active and the member is added to OCA website and database.